Enhance your gardening skills and decorate your outdoor and indoor spaces by growing a fascinating Dracaena plant.
|1||Dracaena Mysore Ruby, Dracaena Baby Doll – Plant|
|2||Grower Round Plastic Pot (Black)|
Dracaena is evergreen perennial shrub in Agavaceae family. Attractive fan like and spirally arranged cluster of broadly elongated leaves at the tip of the slender trunk.
|Plant Height||20-40 inch|
|Plant Spread||10-20 inch|
|Common Name||Hawaiian Ti Plant, Good Luck Plant, Ti Plant, Cabbage tree|
|Maximum Reachable Height||Up to 15 feet|
|Flower Colour||Yellowish or reddish|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- This plant should be grown in bright indirect sunlight, but is known to tolerate lower light levels.
- It require well-drained soil rich in organic matter.
- Water only when the soil feels dry to touch.
- Soil must never be allowed to dry out completely.
- Apply organic fertilizers during spring and rainy season.
- Loosen the soil without damaging the roots. It will help the plant to uptake the nutrients and moisture easily.
- When a plant outgrows in current pot, re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Do the re-potting late evening and keep the plant in shady area for 2 to 3 days and then move the plant in required light condition.
- Wipe the dust from the leaves with a clean, damp cloth.
- Remove dead, decay and infected part of the plant.
- For insect attack apply neem oil or any organic insecticide.
Dracaena Mysore Ruby Care
- Keep the plant in natural indirect bright Light.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Water when top soil (1-2inches) feels dry to touch.
- Do not re pot for min. 2 weeks after receiving it.
|Temperature||20 to 35 degree Celsius|
Dracaena Mysore Ruby Uses
- Used as an indoor plant in home and offices
- Used as specimen plant and in mass planting
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Dracaena plant?
Dracaena is a group of popular plants which can be grown both indoor and outdoor based on the climatic conditions. They are known for easy care, maintenance and beautiful foliage.
Can Dracaena grow indoors?
Some varieties like Dracaena marginata and Dracaena fragrans can be grown in shade away from direct sunlight whereas many species do require full sun (4-6 hrs a day) for healthy growth. Dracaena plants require well-drained soil rich in organic content. Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface soil layer feels dry to touch.Â If you wish to grow Dracaena indoors then best way is to choose a bright light spot as per plant requirement.
Can Dracaena grow in water?
Not recommended. Dracaena plant require well drained soil rich in organic content.
When prune Dracaena?
Prune lower leaves to impart a palm like appearance and do prune the yellow, infected leaves time to time.
Why is my Dracaena turning brown?
If the leaves are with brown tips and edges are yellow the most likely reason is dry air (Hot or Cold) around the plant. Another reason is roots are allowed to dry out for long. If leaves are soft and curled with brown edges then it is because of low temperatures. Also avoid over watering and making plant stand in stagnant water.
How to care Dracaena?
Some Dracaena like Dracaena marginata and Dracaena fragrans need indirect bright light many other would require direct sunlight (4-6 hrs a day). Use well-drained soil for potting and apply water when soil in the pot (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. Protect the plants from hot and cold droughts. Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface soil layer feels dry to touch.Â
Is Dracaena poisonous?
Yes, Dracaena is toxic to pets and if ingested may cause illness in human beings also.
Does Dracaena marginata clean air?
Yes, Plants are natural air purifiers and so do is a Dracaena marginata plant.
Does Dracaena need sunlight?
Direct sunlight is not required by some species like Dracaena marginata and Dracaena fragrance but many other species require 4-6 hrs a day sunlight but make sure to protect all plants from afternoon harsh sunlight.
Does Dracaena clean the air?
According to the NASA Clean Air Study, Dracaena is one of the most efficient plants at removing formaldehyde from the air.
Can Dracaena grow outdoors?
Yes, Dracaena can be grown outdoors where it will get 4-6 hrs of sunlight.
When does Dracaena fragrans flower?
Generally, the very mature plant (At least 5 years old) shows flowering but it will rarely bloom indoors.
Why is my Dracaena turning yellow?
Dracaena turning yellow due to 1.Overwatering, underwatering. 2.Exposure to hot and cold droughts are the main reasons. Plant does not get proper sunlight. 3.Lack of Nutrient. 4.Disease infestation is also a reason.
When does Dracaena flower?
Dracaena rarely show flowering especially indoor. They flower when plant is mature (At least 5 years old) and well treated.
Dracaena when to take cuttings?
Take the cuttings of mature plant or use crown of leaves altogether and use as cutting.
Is Dracaena indoor plant?
Dracaena has some species that can be grown indoor and some both indoor and outdoor.
What size of pot we should use to pot Dracaena?
It depends on plant size. Use at least 6 inch pot for small plant but a smaller pot can also be used. Just make sure to repot the plant when it starts outgrowing the current pot or roots start coming out of drainage holes.
When to repot Dracaena marginata?
1.Â After purchasing plants if the pot is too small, proceed toÂ re-potÂ so that the plant may grow properly.Â 2.Â When plant overgrows in the current pot or after every 2 -3 years change the potÂ and preferably in June-July.Â