What will you get when you buy Stevia Plant online from eTree:
- Imported high yield variety of Stevia rebaudiana Plant
- Plant height: 10-15 inches
- Plant spread: 5-8 inches
5 inch Round Plastic Pot (Black)
- eTree’s Safe Delivery Warranty
- Lifetime Expert Support for your purchased plant
Description for Stevia rebaudiana
Stevia is a tender perennial native to parts of Brazil and Paraguay that favors humid, wet environments, although the root does not tolerate standing water. Stevia is widely grown for its sweet leaves, which are the source of sweetener products known generically as stevia and sold under various trade names.
Planting and care
Caring for Stevia rebaudiana
- Stevia plants do best in rich, loamy soil the same kind in which common garden-variety plants thrive. Since the feeder roots tend to be quite near the surface, it is a good idea to add compost for extra nutrients if the soil in your area is sandy.
- Besides being sensitive to cold during their developmental stage, the roots can also be adversely affected by excessive levels of moisture.
- So take care not to overwater them and to make sure the soil in which they are planted drains easily and isn’t soggy or subject to flooding or puddling.
- Frequent light watering is recommended during the summer months. Adding a layer of compost or your favorite mulch around each stevia plant will help keep the shallow feeder roots from drying out.
- Stevia plants respond well to fertilizers with lower nitrogen content.
- Most organic fertilizers would work well since they release nitrogen slowly.
Typical uses of Stevia rebaudiana
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Stevia plants come back?
Yes, the roots of Stevia survive the winter and will come back in the spring.
How big do Stevia plants grow?
Stevia plants can grow up to 3 feet.
Can you grow Stevia plants indoors?
Yes, you can grow stevia plants indoors where it will get 4-6 hrs of sunlight.
Where does the Stevia plant grow?
Stevia can be grown as a houseplant as well as a garden plant where it will get 4-6 hrs of sunlight.
Do Stevia plants flower?
Yes, stevia plants have small tubular flowers have five white petals, and are borne in terminal clusters.
Is the Stevia plant safe to eat?
According to the Federal Food and Drug Administration high-purity steviol glycosides, an extract of the stevia plant is considered generally safe for use in food. Note- please consult your health advisor before application or consuming plants or plant parts.
Are Stevia plants perennial?
Yes, Stevia is a shrub that is perennial in nature.
Stevia plant growing conditions?
Consider the following points to growing the stevia plant.
1. Sunlight- 4- 6 hours of natural direct bright sunlight is required.
2. Soil- Soil or potting mixture should be well-drained, fertile, and nutrient-rich with pH 6.7 to 7.2.
3. Water- Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface soil layer feels dry to touch.
4. Fertilizer – Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season(spring).
Note – For further details contact our plants’ experts at etree.pk
What is the Stevia plant?
The scientific name of the stevia plant is Stevia rebaudiana that is a member of the Asteraceae family. stevia is a sweetener and sugar substitute derived from the leaves of the plant species Stevia rebaudiana.
Should I prune Stevia plants?
Yes, to maximize leaf production, you must trim back the plants several times to induce branching, first when plants are about 8 inches tall, and again in early summer.
How to use Stevia plant?
Use fresh stevia leaves as a sweetener in beverages, such as tea and lemonade, or in sauces. Add fresh stevia leaves to beverages or foods as a sweet, edible garnish. Note- please consult your health advisor before application or consuming of plants or plant parts.
Can you plant Stevia in the summer?
Yes, you can plant Stevia in the summer.
Stevia plant how to grow?
Germination from seed is difficult, most plants are grown from cuttings. Consider the following points to growing plant.
1. Pot size 5 inches upper diameter inch with a drainage hole.
2. Sunlight- More than 6 hours of natural direct bright sunlight is required.
3. Soil- Soil or potting mixture should be well-drained, fertile and nutrient-rich with pH 6.7 to 7.2.
4. Water-Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface soil layer feels dry to touch.
5. Fertilizer – Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season(spring).
Can you grow Stevia plant?
Yes, you can grow a stevia plant by using cutting.
What is the Stevia plant called in Pakistan?
Stevia is called by many names in different parts of Pakistan. Most popularly it is called Meethi Tulsi, Meethi Patti.
Is the Stevia plant good for diabetics?
The researchers concluded that stevia is safe for people with diabetes to use as a substitute for sugar and other sweeteners. Note- please consult your health advisor before application or consuming plants or plant parts.
Can you plant Stevia with basil?
Yes, you can plant stevia with basil
How to prune Stevia plant?
Perform the first pruning when plants are about 8 inches tall, Prune again in early summer. To maximize leaf production, you must trim back the plants several times to induce branching.